Friday 6 June 2014

Bleach Blocking ..... new Craft Stamper Take It Make It Challenge

Morning folks,

Happy Friday!  It may be the end of another week, but it's the start of a brand new Take It Make It Challenge on the Craft Stamper Blog.

We had some fabulous entries again last month, it seems you all really enjoyed the Potato Stamping.  You don't half make it hard to choose a winner though, but we got there in the end, and the prize went to  .......

Congratulations!

On to this month's challenge ...... it's all about  Bleach Blocking
You can find out more details on page 28 of the latest edition of Craft Stamper Magazine along with a stunning project from the lovely Hels Sheridan.

This technique is all about creating interesting backgrounds using Distress Inks and good old clean water, to give that 'bleached out' look


The 'block' bit comes from using one of the Ink Blending Tools along with a piece of Blending Foam to take away the colour.  If you don't have one of the blending tools, don't worry .... just use a piece of Cut-n-Dry Foam, you'll get the same effect.

I coloured my card using Worn Lipstick, Scattered Straw and Dried Marigold Distress inks.  The deeper the colour of ink, the more your bleach blocking will show.

I then attached a clean piece of foam to my blending tool, wet it with clean water and pressed the foam onto the inked cardstock.  It needs to sit for a few seconds to allow the water to react with the ink, then remove the foam and mop up any excess water.   Once the foam was lifted you get this nice bleached effect .....


I then used the lovely Daisy Stencil from Imagination Crafts along with some texture paste to add my design


Once the texture paste was dry I added some colour to the petals using the new Spectrum Noir Pencils, then I placed the stencil back over the design and coloured the centres and the stems with Distress inks.
The butterflies were also done in the same way ......


To add a bit more interest to the background I used the IndigoBlu Script Background stamp, with a white ink and stamped randomly across the card.  I stamped the sentiment ..... one of my favourites, from the IndigoBlu set B.F.F. onto some white card, and cut it out in a banner shape


To finish my card I mat and layered using white cardstock and, a piece that I'd coloured using the same shades of Distress inks along with my favourite technique of flicking water over the ink to get that spattered look.

A co-ordinating ribbon bow and a couple of sparkly gems add the finishing touch to the front


I've done more Bleach Blocking on the inside of the card .....


I masked off the centre square, coloured the outside using the Distress inks and used the Blending Tool and Foam to do the Bleaching again ..... simple but so effective.


Why not give the challenge a go ...... as always there's a great prize up for grabs, and the winner gets their design in the magazine too!
Have fun Bleach Blocking .... can't wait to see what you all come up with.

Thanks for popping by .... cheerio until next time

Linda
xx

8 comments:

ElizabethR said...

Gorgeous and such pretty colours. Elizabeth xxx

Angela Allen said...

Hi Linda
I really like this card,the daisies,and the blocking give different textures.I need to practice my water flicking though,as it never looks like this.
Love Angela x

shirley-bee said...

Love how you've picked the colours up on the stencilled daisies - fabulous!!

Redanne said...

It is a beautiful card Linda, love the blocking you did and those daisies are stunning. Anne xx

Tracy said...

Such beautiful soft warm tones Linda, gorgeous from the outside in! :-)

Craftychris said...

Stunning card! I love the blocking, it looks so effective! Will be having a go. The daisies and butterflies look gorgeous! xx

Viv said...

Oooh fabulous card and effects Linda,loving the daisies too :) Viv xx

Ink Art Designs said...

Linda, this is so gorgeous! I love the soft colours and how the bleaching works so beautifully with them. And the inside is a perfect finish.
Dot x