Friday 5 June 2015

Take a Technique ....... add a bit of Texture

Happy Friday folks,

Things are gearing up for a nice busy weekend over here ...... the TT Race Week starts tomorrow, my brother arrives on the island on Sunday, and we're off to a birthday bash BBQ ..... weekend sorted!
Before all that though there's still a list of crafty stuff to be done.

It's the first Friday of the month ..... a brand new Craft Stamper magazine hits the shelves (have you got your copy yet ..... you'll love the projects in this months issue!)
That means there's also a brand new Take It Make It Challenge ........ and this month it's the turn of Take a Technique .......
We want to see some Texture on your projects

There's lots of ways to add texture .... it could be texture paste or embossing paste, or use a technique such as embossing either with an embossing folder or use embossing powder.  Use textured card or paper, add stitching or fabric (lace, ribbon etc.) ...... basically anything to give your project that 'touchy feely' style.  Don't forget to include some stamping on there too!!


My texture is on a wall plaque.
I've used Grunge Paste through a stencil and also some paper flowers covered in Gesso, and then the whole thing has been painted over ..... creating lots of gorgeous, different textures. I was inspired by a project I did on a recent workshop run by a friend of mine ..... thanks Jill!  This is what I was playing around with last weekend on our crafty get together ..... and I couldn't share it earlier.  I told you you wouldn't have to wait long!!

It started out as a plain paper mache hanging board from PaperArtsy.  I arranged a few paper flowers on there and added in some punched foliage.  You don't need to worry too much about the colour of your flowers or whether they all co-ordinate ..... what you're really looking for is the shape and the texture of them.  I layered some on top of each other to add a bit more more depth too.
Once I was happy with them I then stuck them into place using a wet glue.

Next came the texture paste ..... I filled in more space around the edges using a brick wall stencil and the Grunge Paste. Once all this was dry I covered the whole thing with Black Gesso, making sure to cover the flowers completely ..... I told you you didn't need to worry about the colours!  Once the Gesso was dry I painted over the top using Paper Artsy Fresco Finish Acrylic paints ..... I love these, they cover so well.


My final colour was Inky Pool .... but I've also used some purple shades and a touch of turquoise on there too.  Just keep painting over the top until you're happy with the colour.
Some of my gesso wasn't quite dry when I started with the paint, especially around the flowers, so there's also a touch of the black in there too


Once the paint was dry (it doesn't take that long .... you could use a heat tool if you can't wait), I rubbed over the textured bits using a touch of White Fire Treasure Gold to bring out some of the detail

See the depth created by layering up the paper flowers ...... nice!


The splatters are from some watered down silver paint and just a touch of white (everything is getting the splatter treatment at the moment .... I love it!!! It's great for covering up mistakes too!)

I then stamped my words onto a piece of white card, embossed using a clear powder (more texture) and then added some colour using Distress inks


You can see there's a little bit more stamping in the background .... the pretty little Wendy Vecchi flower, to add a bit more detail .....


I attached this onto the handing board and finished off  with a pretty painted wooden button


I hope you like it, and feel inspired to give the challenge a go.

Here's where the idea came from ...... it doesn't have to be a wall plaque this technique works fab on cards to ..... this is what I made on the workshop


Now it's your turn ..... remember there's fab prizes up for grabs.
This month our sponsor is Rubber Dance Art Stamps 


And the prize is ......

And there's the Design Winner ..... chosen by the DT.  They get their project published in the Craft Stamper magazine (a two-page spread no less!), they get a Guest Designer spot on a future challenge and a Winner's Profile on the Blog ..... fancy all that ..... then have fun and get stamping!!

Thanks for popping by ..... enjoy your Friday and have a fab weekend!

Cheerio until next time

Linda
xx

4 comments:

jane stillman said...

A fabulous project, love the different techniques and textures

Darnell said...

You've blown my socks clean off with this one, Linda!! Outstanding in every way! Anne made me a desk plaque a couple of years ago with the "Rules" on it and I love them. I read them every day!! Hugs, Darnell

Ellie Knol said...

LOVE your project!

Mrs.B said...

A stunning wall plaque Linda and the card looks fabulous. Must have been a great workshop.
Avril xx