Friday 1 December 2017

Pinch and a pinch for the first of the month ......

Good morning! ...... Happy Friday

It's the first day of December ....... how did that happen!? Only 3 more Fridays to go before the big day ......... better make a start on some Christmas cards I think!

As it's the first Friday of the month, December's challenge gets underway over on the Craft Stamper Blog.


As always the theme is simple ....... Anything Goes as long as there's actual rubber stamping on your project somewhere .... no digi images please. 
Your project can be anything you like, cards, journal pages, home decor, even pretty Christmas projects ..... the choice is all yours.

It's been a little chilly over here the last few days, yesterday was bitterly cold with an icy wind blowing.  I know because I was out in it! 
We didn't get any snow though, unlike some parts of the UK ...... brrrrrr!
So ........ because I'm always dreaming of a white Christmas and we never seem to get one over here, I've put some on a Christmas card.


I've used Brusho and the emboss resist technique ...... I never get tired of doing this because the results are always so different. It was also one of the techniques we covered on the Happy Little Stampers Craft Retreat a couple of weekends ago.

I stamped the snowflakes randomly onto a piece of watercolour cardstock using Versamark ink and then heat embossing in white.  I've used the gorgeous new snowflakes from Tim Holtz ...... aren't they pretty.


I took a couple of the blue shades of Brusho, sprinkled a little of the powder over the cardstock and spritzed with water.  I love how the colour develops and spreads across the card. You can make it as pale or intense as you like.  Add more pigment for a deeper colour ....... sprutz more water for a softer look.

I used one colour at a time, drying off the card in between.  For the first layer I used just water to do the spritzing and spread the colour, but for the second layer instead of water, I spritzed with a Perfect Pearl mist and left it to dry.  I love the shimmer that came through in places .......


Once I was happy with the colours, a quick wipe over the embossing removes any excess ink and makes the snowflakes pop against the background. 
The embossing powder acts as a resist to the Brusho and the white shows through beautifully.

A simple stamped greeting is the perfect finishing touch


Well .... that's one Christmas card done!

We have a great challenge sponsor this month ...... Stampin Unicorn from PolkaDoodles, with an amazing prize for the winner ...... 3 gorgeous stamp sets plus two lovely paper packs!



Happy stamping!

Well ...... our festive season's getting off to a great start.  Last night we were out Christmas shopping at a lovely Artisan Market.  Artists from the island, woodturners and stunning handmade jewellry (hubby bought me a gorgeous piece to go in my Christmas stocking!).  Beautiful scented candles, made here on the island (I stocked up on all my festive favourites) and there was delicious coffees and cakes too.  
Then this evening we've got hubby's work Christmas party ....... always a good night!
But .... I've still things to do first.  There's projects to finish in the craft room, next weekends workshop to check through, I have a Christmas tree in the lounge that needs decorating and ...... I have to find something to wear for tonight.  Busy day ahead .... but first, time for coffee I think!

Thanks for popping by .... enjoy the rest of your day and have a lovely weekend.  Stay warm!

Cheerio until next time ......

2 comments:

Redanne said...

The snowflakes are indeed gorgeous, especially against the beautiful blues in the background! You did make me smile, I only started my cards on Monday, took them to the Post on Friday and shoved some in the box without stamps!!!! Back to the drawing board for me today - lol! Hugs, Anne xx

Loll said...

Gorgeous depth of colour with your layered brushos, Linda. Always love the emboss resist technique, especially with white. Your snowflakes are so pretty! xx